26, Jun 2022
Common Toxic Food for Pets
Pet owners engage in various activities with their dogs, like playing in the yard and riding in the car or walking around town and cuddling on the couch. Because we spend much time with our furry friends and it’s only reasonable to assume that they’ll eat together with us too. Human food items, including those which are perfectly suitable for humans, could cause harm to dogs. Since dogs are smaller than human beings, they can’t eat foods that humans can. They’re also lighter, and therefore, their bodies aren’t able to absorb food as fast. Certain food items have been proven safe for human consumption but could be poisonous or toxic for your dog, posing an extremely health risk.
How to Keep Your Dog Safe
Dog poisoning can cause various symptoms, including lethargy, vomiting, tremors, and even convulsions. If you suspect your dog has eaten any of the foods listed below, make a note of the amount consumed and your dog’s weight before contacting your local veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC24-hour) ‘s hotline for immediate assistance.
Common Toxic Food for Pets
You’re probably aware that keeping your truffles away from the reach of your dog is a sensible decision. Cacao beans are a source of theobromine, an endocrine toxin that could cause death in dogs when consumed. According to experts, stomach cramps, intense thirst, excessive activity shakes, seizures, and vomiting can occur depending on the kind of chocolate they consume (white milk, white or dark) and the weight of your dog. Also, Theobromine poisoning could be fatal if there is a high amount in the system.
Imagine that your pet has consumed the chocolate in the last two hours. In this situation, your veterinarian will induce vomiting and administer several amounts of activated charcoal to aid in helping the poisons to leave the body without getting by the bloodstream. In more severe instances, vet intervention could mean providing additional treatment, including IV fluids or drugs, to reduce the effects of poisoning. And dogs with seizures may require night-time monitoring at the vet clinic.
Apart from poisoning, if your pet suffers from any dental issue due to the overconsumption of other sweets, you can ask a professional vet dentist for a dental check-up.
Raw/Undercooked Meat, Eggs, and Bones
Bacteria like Salmonella and E. coli are in raw meat and raw eggs. E. coli is also hazardous to both pets and people. Raw eggs include an enzyme called avidin, which reduces biotin (a B vitamin) absorption causing skin and coat issues.
Barebones may appear to be a natural and healthy option for your pet if they live in the wild. On the other hand, a household pet could choke on bones or suffer a severe injury if the bone splinters and becomes caught in or punctures your pet’s digestive tract.
When it comes to reducing the dangers of raw food, quality is crucial. The first step is to purchase fresh-looking and smelling meats. Give your dog meat that has not been sitting out on the counter for an extended period to be sure of its freshness.
After that, be sure to follow the applicable cleaning guidelines. The FDA suggests against feeding dogs raw meat; however, if you do adhere to these guidelines:
- Keeping uncooked meat frozen until ready to use.
- Keeping raw meat and prepared food separate.
- Cleaning prep surfaces and meal bowls with soap and water are essential.
- Washing hands before and after handling meat.
Suppose fur parents tend to inquire assistance concerning raw food intake; they browse any website for their pet’s health care needs.
Raisins and Grapes
Scientists and other experts are searching for raisins and grapes that cause them to be so harmful to dogs; several studies have revealed that any quantity you offer your dog can be detrimental. A small number of oatmeal raisin cookies could cause kidney damage in your pet. In addition, diarrhea, vomiting, dehydration, abdominal discomfort, and the inability to urinate are possible issues.
If you think that your dog has been eating raisins or grapes, it is imperative to ensure that they go to the bathroom as quickly as is possible. If, however, your dog did not vomit any raisins or grapes, the best method of action is to seek a veterinarian. An extensive quantity of IV fluids for up to 36 hours would be the ideal alternative to decline the chance of injury to the kidneys. Additionally, pet owners tend to browse any website like AceAnimal.com about several diagnoses and treatments about internal medicine conditions to aid their pet in healing quickly.
You can also call the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, the poison-control hotline. They have board-certified toxicologists who will calculate the toxic dose for your dog. It is also better to have blood tests done every 6-8 weeks to monitor the function of your kidneys which is the primary concern with raisins.